This week is another dilemma – the same actually, you don’t get rid of a problem by running away from its. 🙃 In the same day, I had a tutorial with Nicolas and Tobias, both with very divergent opinions about my project. Here is the mindmap, I’ll detail a bit afterwards ↓
I explained to Nicolas my concept to make exaggerated objects derived from the mechanical mouse’s functions – which is actually what I’ve started to get on last week with my sketch (5). The gestures’ embodiment within a known object aka the mouse offers my project a whole new framework. Nicolas is encouraging me to take that concept way further – into the scenography for instance, and to carefully think about each module and the overview’s cohesion, be its in the approach I’m taking and the apparence I’m setting down for.
As you might follow, I’m pretty stuck on the web content part. I feel like I’m already developing a concept that is a strong single layer about web surfing, and any web content’s layer on top on that might only end up as a bit too repetitive. This is why I proposed to make its only sound based using MAX/MSP – exaggerating the objects and the sounds solely, thus.
I’m already thinking of featuring samples from my friend Sima Kim’s EP IT’S A DREAM, TAKE CONTROL, for which I worked on a series of motion artworks. The sounds are overall pretty ambiguous, but I like the fact that it’s hard to discern what they are exactly. Its aesthetics somehow screams the physicality of the Internet, hence the visuals. Here is an extract of my works ↓
Although Nicolas was keen on the idea to have my project take a mechanical approach rather than a literal representation of the Internet, he still feel like it should at least have a visual feedback. Moreover, the sound part is solely thought to be able to work for several people at the same time as I did aim my project to be a participative project, but what if only a visitor is present?
Anyways, I’m sitting on its for a few days. Meanwhile, I need to get with the making ASAP. After the tutorials, I re-sketched up with keeping in mind the combination of the objects’ design and the sensors I might then use, following the recommendations of Nicolas ↓
Here is the 3D version ↓
I’m not good at conceptualizing IRL at all, and I spent too much time worrying about its. That’s why I went to the 3D workshop the next day and asked for advice. The challenge here is definitely how to incorporate the Arduino’s circuits without being an obvious ‘hey, I’m an Arduino board!’.
Here is the first Arduino prototype, to get started on the feasibility. ↓
The pedal is definitely the most straightforward module – I just need to get some springs.
The wheel’s difficulty is how I connect its to the sensor – a rotary encoder would do the job better than a gyroscope then, it seems like a nightmare to hide that thing. (Here, I used a pot instead of a rotary encoder, though.)
For the ball’s board, I tested out the hall effect sensor with a magnet ball. I’m not convinced by that at all – it would need to have a double-bottom + a trick for the balance function. It seems like a rather complicated module that is shaped by its contraints rather than its function…! I’m also worried on the fact that it lacks meaning, since the two others modules might be hijacked off their initial functions but are still familiar objects – thus, they are recognizable and easy to comprehend.